Walls!

Building The Walls

Using the old walls as a template, we began laying out the new walls.  We decided to make the new trailer about 3" taller than the old once, since I'm 6'3" tall.  This was pretty straightforward *EXCEPT* for the curvature at the back of the trailer.  The front of the trailer was easy, because we simply elongated a vertical piece.  But the back of the trailer didn't have a vertical surface, so we had to elongate the curvature.  

Layout

Here I've fastened the original lumber to a new 2" x 8" piece of lumber.  In this picture, I've separated the last joint a little to account for the taller trailer.  This is how I "stretched" the curvature on the back of the trailer.

Old trailer framing screwed onto a new 2" x 8" board.

All Hail Larry!

Here I am cutting out the curved frame pieces using a technique I picked up from Larry at cannnedhamtrailers.com  If you have not visited his website; I highly recommend it.  Larry makes a living restoring vintage trailers.  His work is amazing...and it's really because of his website that I decided to take the leap on this project.  He has all sorts of instructional videos, and also photos of trailers he has restored.  Also; he has a YouTube channel you can subscribe to.



Final note about Larry:  Larry runs his website from donations that folks make.  I've donated myself...and I strongly suggest that if you find something useful (I guarantee...you will), then make a small donation to help Larry out.  I've emailed him a few times for advice and he's gotten right back to me.  A real saint-of-a-guy.  THANKS LARRY!


Cutting the rounded framing of the trailer.

Walls Taking Shape


Here's the first wall, lying on the floor of my improvised workshop.

In this photo, the panels have been attached to the wall's primary members.  I spent some time on this step making sure everything was plumb, square...and otherwise copacetic.

Close-up of the front of the wall.  This is the exterior

Street-Side Wall Framing

I forgot to mention; I tackled the street-side wall first because it was by far the most complicated.  We are adding things that the original camper did not have, and also moving a window so that it lines up better with new location of kitchen sink.  

This wall will have the following openings:

1. Dinnete window
2. Kitchen window
3. Shore Power
4. City Water
5. Water tank inlet
6. Hot water heater vent/opening
7. Side-wall fan (located adjacent the gas stovetop)
8. Lower fridge vent
9. Upper fridge vent
10. Bathroom window

Nearly complete framing (this photo is a panorama...sorry about the herky-jerkyness).

Here's the inside of the wall, with the first few holes cut out.

Close up of rear/upper framing of the wall.  I got pretty decent using my skill saw to cut these out...thanks to Larry!

My Little Helper

I can't forget to mention my most-important helper...my daughter Isabella.  Here she is pictured making a drawing of what she thinks the camper will end up looking like...




Comments

  1. It was really insightful.
    Thanks for such a nice content.
    Cheers
    BTW if anyone interested more have a look Learn More thanks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment