Showing posts from October, 2016


Time to Use The Demolition Saw! First we removed a single wall, and saved it so that we could use as a template later... Not for the weak-kneed! ...and the walls, came tumbling down... Down to the Trailer Pretty soon we were down to just the floor, and not long after that we had a bare trailer, and a stack of walls and a roof grid. You too can invest in a camper and have nothing to show for it in a few quick months! Note the back end of the trailer, particularly the far rear corner where the shower/lavatory was.  This is the portion of the trailer that I could stick my foot through. As you might imagine, the frame was a little "rough".  check out the outrigger on the far side of the trailer behind the wheel; at some point there was a collision that had knocked it horizontal, instead of vertical like all of the other out riggers.

Saving Things for Posterity

Labeling and Storing We labeled and stacked everything; saving what we thought would be useful in the reconstruction. Galley, bench frames, seat supports, etc. Everything stacked in the garage.  Jalousie windows in a box at lower right. Looking at the mess from another angle.

Tin Roof. Rusted.

Top of Trailer Here are a few shots of the roof of the trailer before we REALLY got into the tear down. Rear of the coach with water damage at the outer edges. In the lower left corner, you can see a hole in the ceiling panel.  It was totally rotted-away.  The thin veneer was held in place by the insulation, which fell away when I took the skin off. Another view of the curb-side rear upper corner.  More evidence of water damage.

Removing The Interior

The Gut-Job Commences... Before the walls come down; the interior has to be removed to the exterior.  Here's a quick chronology of removing the furniture.  Had fun finding all the EMPTY wasp nests and mud-dobber whatcha-ma-callit-homes.  Dobber-dwellings?  Mud-pads?  First Up: The Galley Goes Bye-Bye Next: Benches are vanquished... The new "open concept" Cree After taking out the lavatory, closets, and (almost) queen sized bench/bed, we were left with a nice blank template in which to dream our dreams of vintage camper bliss.  Ain't she a beaut?!?

Exposing the Rot

Wood Rot Here's a few details of the condition of the trailer as we were removing the skin.  A lot of the wood that looks black might look like it was burned.  It was in fact rotten.  We experience several pieces of lumber simply falling off the camper as the skin was removed.  Really; it is incredible this thing didn't blow apart while Erin drove it from Austin to Dallas.  Check out the photo below with the anchor bolts hanging loosely...the wood that they were originally anchored in was gone: rotted away. Here's a close up of the street-side upper roof line curve.  You can see how blocking and strips of plywood were used to create a nice smooth curve.  This portion of the trailer was in relatively good shape.  Although, at the bottom of the curve, the block that was there is almost totally gone. Contrast that with this shot of the street-side rear, lower curve.  Totally rotted away.  You can see the nails are the only thing remaining.  Yikes.

Onions Have Layers

Peeling Back The Skin We first started removing the skin.  On purpose this time, and not while doing 65 mph on I-35.  Here are a few choice photos...