Posts

Showing posts from July, 2017

New Dinette Benches

Image
First in Line: The Dinette The first thing after the front wall, is the dinette.  Following on the (relative) success of copying the old walls, we began re-manufacturing the dinette benches.  We pretty much copied the old design exactly.  The frame members were primarily 1" x 1" dowels.
Modifications We did modify the street-side dinette to accommodate a combination propane/carbon dioxide leak detector, and also the power-center for the camper.  Did a little extra work to "counter-sink" the power center so that hopefully it does not get kicked by heels of folks sitting at the dinette (think 5 to 12 year olds that can't stop fidgeting).




Raising the Walls & Front Panel

Image
Raising the Walls & Adding Front Panel Having learned a thing or two with the first wall, I constructed the second one a little quicker than the first, and adopted a slightly different technique.  After that, I conned a friend into helping me lift the walls onto the trailer, brace them, and attach them to the floor and trailer frame.  I again used anchor bolts that passed through the floor and in some places the trailer frame as well.

Front Panel The layout of just about everything in the trailer is based off of the front wall; so we put the front panel on to act as a datum.  This was pretty exciting because the trailer really started to look like something.  


Old Benches - New Wall Just for fun, I brought the old benches from the dinette from our house (I needed them anyway to begin copying them).  I placed them in the trailer against the front wall to see how close we came to matching the old curvature.  They matched up perfectly!  Sa-weet!

Walls!

Image
Building The Walls Using the old walls as a template, we began laying out the new walls.  We decided to make the new trailer about 3" taller than the old once, since I'm 6'3" tall.  This was pretty straightforward *EXCEPT* for the curvature at the back of the trailer.  The front of the trailer was easy, because we simply elongated a vertical piece.  But the back of the trailer didn't have a vertical surface, so we had to elongate the curvature.  
Layout Here I've fastened the original lumber to a new 2" x 8" piece of lumber.  In this picture, I've separated the last joint a little to account for the taller trailer.  This is how I "stretched" the curvature on the back of the trailer.

All Hail Larry! Here I am cutting out the curved frame pieces using a technique I picked up from Larry at cannnedhamtrailers.com  If you have not visited his website; I highly recommend it.  Larry makes a living restoring vintage trailers.  His work is ama…